This is the first part of the Useful Command-line Tools on useful command line tools. In this blog post I'm going to talk about the mktemp command.
This is a really cool command that generates unique file or directory names for temp files or directories based on a template you pass it.
Here's how you create a temp file in your /tmp directory:
$ tempfile=$(mktemp /tmp/footemp.XXXXXX) || exit 1 $ echo $tempfile /tmp/footemp.9ZTwDS
You can also create a temp directory:
$ tempdir=$(mktemp -d /tmp/footemp.XXXXXX) || exit 1 $ ls -alh $tempdir total 0 drwx------ 2 zach wheel 68B Jan 2 09:44 . drwxrwxrwt 18 root wheel 612B Jan 2 09:44 ..
You can learn more about this command by reading the man page.
- Buy a house
- Write a "Learn Drupal The Hard Way" book
- Start a highcountrysomething.com website and make it work
- Spend more time with Frank
- Run everyday
- Run a marathon at some point
- Stop eating out so much and cook more of my own food
- Blog more
- Learn a new language
- Visit the west coast
- Start a few more open source projects
- Keep OpenBlog and OpenBrewery up and awesome
- Talk at a major conference
- Drink more delicious beer
- Brew more beer
Yes! Just as the title suggests, I've got a couple of things going on. First, we've made a few changes to OpenBlog and Subtle Simplicity in preparation for a 7.x-1.0-beta1 release. I've also started a 7.x-2.x branch of Subtle Simplicity and ported Shrop's theme to be based on the Omega theme.
The other big thing is my new project OpenBrewery, it's a Drupal 7 distribution for your brewery's website. I've got a lot of ideas for this thing.
I'm back on working on the OpenBlog project! Here are some recent changes:
- Adding in the metatag and google_analytics module
- Removing the sharethis module
Soon we'll be changing up the theme and adding some more functionality. Keep an eye on the issue queue to keep up with the changes.